Monday, August 6, 2012

Don't be Afraid of Humor

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?"

Come on, you can tell me. You at least smiled a little. My husband has said that line a few times over the years and it still makes me smile (shake my head) but smile. Humor is a part of us, a part of our community, family and state of well being. Public speaking is another great place to share humor.


Gelotology (from the Greek gelos, meaning laughter) is the study of laughter and its effects on the body, from a psychological and physiological perspective. (Wikipedia).

We know laughter has been used in many therapies to help patients with pain management, there is laughter meditation and even laughter yoga (which I thought was a stretch)…sorry, I couldn't help myself there.

Keep it simple, keep it appropriate and don’t be afraid to use humor in your next presentation.


During a presentation, your humor doesn't have to be so in your face like my clown joke, but perhaps a little twist of words, a touch of appropriate sarcasm or a pun, can help hold the attention of your audience. Simply using a rhetorical question can get a giggle. For example “What’s another word for Thesaurus?” Or hubby’s favorite “Why is it so hard to remember how to spell mnemonic?” The internet is a great place to get some help if humor isn't your forte.



No comments:

Post a Comment