Saturday, July 7, 2012

Speak Up at Toastmasters


Effective Presentations - Toastmasters
Toastmasters is a non-profit organization helping members improve their communication, public speaking and leadership skills. As a member of Toastmasters for 3 years, it was a very pivotal time in my career as I moved into more training positions within my job.  Aside from the wonderful people I met at Toastmasters, it was an opportunity to practice speaking techniques, obtain feedback, and implement new tips and tools to improve my presentations. I gained a great deal of insight from watching and listening to others that spoke at meetings; their timing, gestures, expressions, use of the space, and WOW was I impressed at some of the amazing speakers I came across.  

Toastmasters is an opportunity for you to practice without the worry of being uncomfortable if you mess up, go too fast, stammer or fall off the stage.  In either case, they will pick you back up, dust you off and stand you on that stage again.  The thoughtful critiques and suggestions they are offer are invaluable.  Toastmasters want each and every member to become an exceptional speaker.  You can be new to public speaking or perhaps a very experienced public speaker; either way you are welcome to Toastmasters.

Improving your speaking skills can help in many aspects of your life.  Job interviews, promotions, toast master at your brother’s wedding or just a great confidence builder.  With over 270,000 members and more than 13,000 clubs, it shouldn’t be difficult to find a meeting near you.  Bring your presentation skills to a whole new level.




Find a Toastmasters near you.

1 comment:

  1. This is timely for me personally – I just joined Toastmasters (on the other side of the world to you, in Sydney).

    Your readers might also be interested to watch this short video that shows what meetings are like. (I was surprised how similar the meeting format is between what's shown, in the US, and what I've experienced in Aus...)
    http://remotepossibilities.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/toastmasters-see-what-its-like-right-now/

    ReplyDelete